Indications can take a long time to shape effectively, this part is set demonstrate the tools you have been working on thus far. Its not a complete set of tools but a nice starting point that we can build on as we progress through the levels and search career.
* Sustained hand touch – demonstrating a nose touch for 4 seconds minimum. Mouthing will be deemed not ready and resubmission would be required.
* Nose touch on a pot – this could be a scented pot if you have reached that stage, or if not an empty pot (e.g large yoghurt pot with lid) will be perfect. This does not need to be sustained at this level. Mouthing will be deemed not ready and resubmission would be required.
* Nose touch on an item – the item can be held in your hand or placed on something or even harder still the floor. All are acceptable. This does not need to be sustained at this level. Mouthing will be deemed not ready and resubmission would be required.
* Marking ability – this video is to show your ability to show the correct ‘marking’ of a desired behaviour for indications. A mark can be a word or a clicker given at the correct time. There are many ways you can video this task – you could set some boxes up to search and one has a pot of food in with some holes in the lid. When the dog goes to nose the pot or looks at it you can yes/click/good at the correct time. Another way to demonstrate the mark could be to hold a different item in your hand and ask for a touch. A not ready would be deemed if the mark is provided when a dog is licking/mouthing/scratching/barking/whining/looking at handler.
* Some dogs prefer not to freeze at a find, they prefer to adopt a position of their choice. This will be perfectly acceptable in our search awards and this task gives handlers the chance to explore this as an option for their dog.
Set a box search like in search area 1 – 6 boxes and the find is in one box. The find will be their food in a small pot with holes in the lid. Set the dog up to search and task down the boxes. When they find the box with their treats command the dog to sit / down or stand whichever is their favourite position. Once they have done this feed them a treat from the hidden treat pot. Verbally release the dog from the search area with another reward for recalling away. End of exercise and end of tasks!